Google Play: What’s that?
When we initial saw a headlines final week, we insincere Google Play was simply a rebranding of Google Music, an MP3 download and storage use that launched final year. But that’s indeed usually partial of it. Google has taken 4 of a multimedia services and collapsed them into Google Play so that users can entrance all of their calm in one place. Google Play incorporates Google Music, Movies, Books (eBooks) and a Android Market. Books, song (up to 20,000 songs, regardless of where we downloaded them from), and even rented movies, can be stored on Google’s giveaway cloud-based use and accessed by a mechanism or Android smartphone or inscription anywhere that there’s an Internet connection. Google Play will also keep your apps in sync on all your devices, or let we buy an app on one device though implement it on another.
Apple users will find Google Play identical to what Apple offers in a iTunes program and iCloud service, that together behind adult apps, song and other media online – in further to charity apps, song and cinema for sale.
So how will this impact you?
The advantage of regulating these Google Play services is that your music, eBooks and cinema will be stored in “the cloud.” In elementary terms, this means a information will be saved on Google’s server and not on your device, so we don’t have to worry about using out of storage space. This also means you’ll need a information or Wi-Fi tie to entrance your calm — though we can collect and select books, music, and cinema that you’d like to entrance offline (like for a craft trip.) On your Android device, we can entrance all of your media in a Play Store app, in further to a apart apps for music, books and movies. Google Play isn’t usually for Android users, though– any Google user can take advantage of a cloud service.
I’m an Android user myself and now possess a Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone and an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. While Google Play offers a cleaner experience, we already suffer identical advantages — some from Google and some from Amazon.
- My contacts are synced with Gmail, that meant when we upgraded from a Motorola Droid to a Galaxy Nexus, we didn’t need to compensate Verizon $10 to send contacts or manually submit them myself.
- I can already entrance all of my downloaded apps in a Android Market online and download apps from my laptop and send them to my smartphone.
- Many of my apps are already synced between my smartphone and inscription — though usually those that I’ve purchased and downloaded from a Amazon App Store.
- I have entrance to song I’ve downloaded from AmazonMP3 on my Kindle Fire and Galaxy Nexus.
- If we download a giveaway Kindle app, we can review Kindle eBooks on both devices, seamlessly.
- Apps that we downloaded from a Android Marketplace (now Google Play) were accessible on my new smartphone with usually a click or two.
On this final point, we ran into an astonishing issue: nothing of a apps’ information was saved. Angry Birds, for example, did not keep my diversion progress. While that’s not a finish of a universe — we was astounded to find that Google didn’t have a resolution in place, generally deliberation how mostly people ascent their smartphones. (To be fair, Angry Birds creator Rovio doesn’t offer a resolution either.) There are third celebration apps that can behind adult your Android phone, though any has a stipulations and nothing are straightforward. we finished adult branch to an app called Angry Birds Backup to save my diversion progress, though it wasn’t terribly easy to use. On a other hand, Apple’s iTunes and iCloud services are means to behind adult your app data so we can collect adult where we left off on Angry Birds and other games when we ascent to a new iPhone. Come on Google!
The Play Store is now live during play.google.com. Let us know what we think.